6. Live Outside Broadcast Reports
Here, you’ll present a “live” report to camera. This takes place in and around the famous Abingdon Green opposite The Houses of Parliament - a familiar scene from nightly news programmes.
- You'll be working from a pre-prepared report or presentation
- You can gain inspiration from several hundred reports in our constantly updated database, or prepare your own from scratch
- Potential subjects include: covering a rock festival, political commentary, gossip from behind the scenes of a film set, a new parking deterrent, an awards ceremony, a tragic drowning, a sporting event, or all the news from a celebrity party
- To further personalise your report, the "backdrop" can be anything in the surrounding area - from The Houses of Parliament itself to a side street; busy traffic to park-like greenery
- This exercise is perfect practice for a wide variety of reporting situations, and it’ll also give you the chance to work from a written script
- As always, you'll get constant 1 to 1 coaching throughout
- Some of the things you’ll learn include:
- How to present to a shoulder-held camera
- How to "walk and talk" whilst the camera is moving around you
- Location sound and what you need to know
- When working from a script with little time for rehearsal and preparation, how to make it appear like the information is coming from you and not the script
- The different dynamics of on-location reporting
- How to make the best of the environment
- We’ve got lots of flexibility with the “staging” of this piece - for example, you could be “walking and talking” or simply standing still - and our cameraperson will use their creativity to match their framing and movement to your particular report
- And, once we’ve rehearsed it, several takes will go down on tape
Click above to watch past highlights from this section
CONTINUE TOUR: 11. Your Own Magazine Shows ⇒
682 Success Stories Including...
This Morning, ITV - co-presenter | Celebrity Coach Trip, Channel 4 - contestant | Celebrity Come Dine With Me, C4 - contestant | Big Brother, C4 -... more →
Look East, BBC - presenter/main anchor | Royal Television Society "Best Newcomer To Television Journalism" - nominated | The Politics Show, BBC - pres... more →
See all ⇒
The Big Breakfast, C4 - daily O.B. presenter (aka "Squeaky McLean") | Richard & Judy, C4 - roving reporter | Celebrity Fear Factor, ITV - guest | ... more →
See all ⇒
"Everyone said I didn't look like the complete novice I really am!"
"Everyone was really impressed, saying that I didn't look like the complete novice I really am! My dad was quite surprised I think. Obviously, being in television, he can appreciate what goes into presenting. So he was quite taken aback that I pulled it off so well! I wanted to thank you for an absolutely FABULOUS day on Sunday. The facilities, expertise and hospitality were second to none."